Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Revealing

"In Catholic school as vicious as Roman rule
I got my knuckles brusied by a lady in black
And I held my toungue as she told me
"Son fear is the heart of love"
So I never went back"

-Death Cab For Cutie "Follow You Into The Dark"



"But time is on your side
It's on your side now
Not pushing you down and all around
It's no cause for concern

Come on, oh my star is fading
And I see no chance of release
And I know I'm dead on the surface
But I am screaming underneath

And time is on your side
It's on your side now
Not pushing you down and all around
No it's no cause for concern

Stuck on the end of this ball and chain
And I'm on my way back down again
Stood on a bridge, tied to a noose
Sick to the stomach
You can say what you mean
But it won't change a thing
I'm sick of the secrets
Stood on the edge, tied to a noose
You came along and you cut me loose
You came along and you cut me loose
You came along and you cut me loose."

-Coldplay "Amsterdam"




"What came into existence was Life, and the Life was Light to live by.
The Life-Light blazed out of the darkness; the darkness couldn't put it out.

The Life-Light was the real thing: Every person entering Life he brings into Light.

He came to his own people but they didn't want him. But whoever did want him, who believed he was who he claimed and would do what he said, He made to be their true selves, their child-of-God selves.

No one has ever seen God, not so much as a glimpse. This one-of-a-kind God-Expression, who exists at the very heart of the Father, has made him plain as day."

John 1 (The Message)

I've been captivated by those phrases lately. "He made them to be their true selves". So many times we aren't aware of all of the clothes and things we've acquired over the years to make us think we need to get value or acceptance or status or image or whatever. Most of us wouldn't know what to say if asked "What's on your heart these days? What do you dream about?" Passion...life...love...all of these things flow from the relentless self-aware pursuit of those questions. When's the last time you dreamed? Maybe it's the blood-thinners, I'm not sure(he he), but I've been dreaming again. Who are you? Don't tell me what you do (job, parent, social status, husband, wife)...tell me who you are...how you believe (or hope) God sees you....who....are....you? We get so entrenched in life that we forget how to really live...don't we. It matters to discover that. To reveal what's God's always known and is waiting for you to discover. It's a beautiful thing to become who you are.

"Take these hands
Teach them what to carry
Take these hands
Don't make a fist
Take this mouth
So quick to criticise
Take this mouth
Give it a kiss

Yahweh, Yahweh
Always pain before a child is born
Yahweh, Yahweh
Still I'm waiting for the dawn

Still waiting for the dawn, the sun is coming up
The sun is coming up on the ocean
This love is like a drop in the ocean
This love is like a drop in the ocean."

-U2 "Yahweh"

No comments: